Friday, January 17, 2014

concerning plants - a visit to the Desert Botanical Garden

There's only about a handful of places that I visited over winter break that can be considered to be slightly exciting and/or interesting; the Desert Botanical Garden is among these few. I decided spend my time browsing the garden's beautiful selection of trees, flowers, succulents, and cacti, rather than my usual option: sleeping in until 12 pm and then proceeding to binge watch Downton Abbey, equipped with a pot of pasta, for the rest of the day. I had been wanting to visit the botanical garden for a while now, and the cool(ish) weather that arrived with December left me with minimal excuses to slack off and miss my chance to pay homage to the plants until next year. The botanical garden itself included different areas where various types of plants were located, including an an herb garden, flower garden, and cactus & succulent galleries. At the time when I visited, the garden had also integrated some of the work of glass sculptor, Chihuly, among the plants in an exhibit called "Chihuly in The Garden". The glass sculptures scattered throughout the place definitely added some more visual interest in my opinion, probably because I was already familiar with many of the plants there, being a native of Arizona. There was also a cafe, which, as expected, was pretty over-priced (Luckily, my sister, who accompanied me, paid for lunch). But overall, the garden did not disappoint. I only wish I had remembered to bring along my sketchbook so that I would have had the opportunity to scribble out a few drawings of some of the foliage just for the fun of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment